- 1 lb. allergy-friendly old bread (See Amish White Bread Recipe)
- 2 cups non-dairy milk (I use soy milk)
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 5 eggs
- ½ cup sugar +1 cup for caramel
- ½ cup of water
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- Cut the bread into small pieces.
- In a bowl, pour the milk and soak the bread in the milk for 15-20 mins.
- Add the eggs, vanilla and sugar and mix until all is well blended.
- In a small pan, mix the water and sugar and set in the stove on medium-high to make the caramel. Stir until the mixture has a golden color.
- In a baking pan [size 8X6X2], pour the caramel, covering the bottom.
- Add the bread mixture.
- Finally, add raisins [the quantity you prefer].
- Set baking pan in a roasting pan. Add water to the roasting pan until it rises halfway up the sides of the baking pan to create a water bath (bain-marie).
- Bake for 50 mins.
- Set aside to cool for at least an hour.
- Run a knife along the edges to loosen. Cover with a platter and quickly, but carefully invert.
- Cut and serve.
*If you want the bread pudding to be creamier, you can add ½ cup of non-dairy butter to the mixture. *